Warnings About Vaccine Expectations NZ Inc is a voluntary and charitable organisation founded in 1988 by Hilary Butler. Its members include an increasing number of parents, caregivers, health professionals and other adults who have concerns about the safety and efficacy of vaccines, wish to make an informed decision about whether or not to vaccinate themselves or their children; and wish to maintain their right to choose to vaccinate or not.
The Immunisation Awareness Society Incorporated (IAS) is now referred to as Warnings About Vaccine Expectations (WAVESnz); and is a voluntary, non-profit organisation dedicated to promoting informed choice. WAVESnz undertakes research and provides information on vaccination and vaccines. WAVESnz encourages people to make informed decisions about vaccination and to take full responsibility for their family’s health. WAVESnz liaises with similar overseas organisations and aims to maintain up-to-date international information on vaccines, and the perceptions and positions of medical professionals on vaccination.
WAVESnz does not advise people not to vaccinate but facilitates an informed decision making process. The decision about whether or not to vaccinate is a personal one that should be made after much research and consideration. WAVESnz provides support to people who choose not to vaccinate, people who sometimes come under considerable pressure from health professionals, and often members of the community, to vaccinate their children.
The majority of WAVESnz members have made an informed decision not to vaccinate themselves or their children*. This difficult decision is generally made after considerable research and much soul searching. It is a decision that is not made in isolation but is part of a broader philosophy which sees WAVESnz members taking responsibility for their health and the health of their children. It almost always accompanies a decision to breastfeed their babies for an extended period of time, to provide the best diet possible, to raise their children in a secure and loving environment and limit the use of such things as antibiotics and over-the-counter drugs to such times as they are truly medically necessary, rather than to use them as a quick fix for the many mild discomforts that we and our children experience.
WAVESnz is founded on some basic philosophies regarding health and immunity:
1. That natural immunity is far superior to artificial immunity.
2. That breast milk is the best immune stimulator for the baby during the first year of life and that a great deal of immunological protection is provided to the child for as long as breastfeeding continues.
3. That good health, which starts with a balanced diet that includes important vitamins and minerals, is safer, and more effective at preventing many diseases than artificial immunity.
4. That appropriate allopathic (conventional) and homoeopathic/naturopathic treatment in the event of illness is safer and more effective than trying to prevent illness through artificial immunity.
5. That most diseases contracted by a healthy child, at an appropriate age in childhood, provide important challenges to the immune system enabling it to mature and strengthen, and almost always provide lifelong immunity to the disease.
6. That the vast majority of childhood infections are benign and self limiting in a healthy, well-nourished, well cared for child with a healthy immune system.
* Some people are members because they have vaccine-damaged children.
- To inform parents, health professionals and politicians about vaccination issues.
- To campaign to ensure our continued freedom of choice about vaccination.
- To provide information for parents so that they can make an informed decision about vaccination.
- To empower parents to take responsibility for their own and their family’s health regarding vaccination.
- To acknowledge people who experience vaccine reactions.
- To debate vaccination issues through symposiums, health forums, displays, talks, presentations and the media.
- To share parents’ experiences of childhood disease and the disease management options available.